Military Vehicles, June 1997,: Re: [MV] Restoring a Jerry Can?

Re: [MV] Restoring a Jerry Can?

Buettner Family (buettner@dataex.com)
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 16:40:39 -0500 (CDT)

At 11:54 AM 6/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Its in great shape on the outside but has a little rust on the inside. I
>want to restore it and use it. Is there a method for getting rust out of
>the inside? Would I have to coat the inside lining with something to use
>it or can I simply use it once I get the rust out?

While restoring my '72 Honda CL350 (clearly not an MV but just keep
reading)
I used Navel Jelly to get the rust out of the motorcycles fuel tank. This
was a very easy job to do, heres how: Go to a local automotive parts
supplier get a bottle of naval jelly. Dump some in the Jerrycan and "coat"
the inside (make sure you don't get any on you it burns). Wait the required
time (15 min I think) and then flush with water. And then you will have a
nice rust free can.

Sincerely,
Robert Buettner

|God and a Soldier all people adore |
|in time of war but not before; |
|and when war is over and all things righted, |
|God is neglected and an old soldier is slighted.|
|The Buettner Family buettner@dataex.com |