Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 carb question

Re: [MV] M38 carb question

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 11:34:53 -0400 (EDT)

John wrote:

>The black knob on the dash is from the cold weather primer

Oh, I see now -- It is not part of the fording kit. I had heard something
about using a pump to pressurize the engine for starting if it stalled
underwater while deep-fording and I mistakenly assumed this pump served that
purpose.

>There were three nozzles with small jets in them that
>were screwed into the intake manifold.

I'll have to look for these connections -- don't recall seeing them on the
manifold.

>a tee was installed in the main fuel line and connected to
>the hand pump on the dash.

I have that tee in the fuel line -- it is just after the shutoff valve. It's
upper port is presently blocked with a plug.

>The port on the top of the carb, drivers side was
connected to the crossover tube

Ok, then my interpretation of the TM drawing was correct.

>What it's intended purpose was I am not sure but
>would like to know.

I wonder if it is meant as an special sort of air intake or maybe just a vent
to equalize pressure inside the carb with the outside atmospheric pressure.
Hmmmm... we need more info!

Thanks for the reply!

Steve Johnston
sbjohnston@aol.com