--------------------------------------
Date: 7/14/97 7:20 PM
From: Drew Arbore
(I cross-posted this to both the MV List and FSJ List because subscribers of
both may find the information useful.)

Brad wrote:

>There is also the NP200 or whatever that was used in the M715s. It is
>divorced (could be bitter!) and has a low range of 1.98:1 (or there abouts),
>same as the NP205 and NP203. It MAY be available with twin sticks. I have
>no idea. Any M715 owners out there want to comment?

I have a M715. It does use the NP200 with twin-sticks and a 1.98:1 low-range.
It is a divorced case, with a parking brake drum attached to the through-drive
on the back and the rear output is offset, in-line with the front output. My
understanding is that the NP200 is a very close cousin to the NP205 and both
are very stout units. The NP205 would be preferable because of its
through-drive design, however I believe a NP200 could be adapted to
through-drive (or 6-wheel drive!?!) by replacing the parking brake assembly
with a second rear output yoke. I have a friend contemplating building a
crew-cab (4-door), 6-wheel drive M715 and we intend to explore this
possibility. The old Dodge WC-63 (?) 6x6 weapons carriers use a transfer case
that looks suspiciously like a NP200 with two rear output yokes.

I replaced my NP200 with a divorced NP205 from a Dodge because I needed a
through-drive case and didn't want to fuss with removing the parking brake.
Both 'cases have two control shafts going into the unit, but most trucks use a
linkage so that one shift lever manipulates both. The M715 has each control
shaft connected to its own shifter, but I have yet to see how this works with
the NP205 (the truck isn't completed yet). BTW, we have NP200 cases for sale,
along with T-98A trannys (a very stout 4-speed with granny low).

-Drew
drew@mail.arbore.com

Specs on the uncompleted Project Mega M715 (items marked * are completed):

* '67 M715 chassis & body
* Ford 7.5L (460ci) big-block with Ford EEC-IV multi-port fuel injection
* Ford C-6 automatic, rebuilt to be bullet-proof
- Dodge NP205 transfer case (divorced)
* Chevy Dana 60 front axle with disc brakes, 4.56 gears, springs moved above
axle
- Chevy Corp. 14-Bolt rear axle with disc brakes, 4.56 gears
- Saginaw power steering, Hydrovac tandem power brake booster & 1-ton master
cylinder
- plans to swap in 4.88 gears and ARB air locker up front & Detroit locker
out back
- tires size/type undecided at this time (possibilities: 38.5" Swamper
TSL/SX, 39.5" Swamper TSL, 39.5" Swamper Bogger, all on 15x12, 8-lug steel
wheels painted to match the truck exterior)
- dual stock-type fuel tanks -- approx. 60-gallons total capacity, with
redundant fuel pumps
- exterior restored as faithfully as possible to Mil-Spec, including paint,
markings, cargo cover & troop seats
- interior restored to Mil-Spec with the following exceptions: steering
column, instruments, seats, roll-cage

MV Purists Take Note: This is the truck I'm building to haul around a future,
fully-original, restored MV. It may be another M715, a M170, Ferret -- I
haven't decided yet (although I do have enough parts laying around to build
another M715!). Secondarily, I am building this truck to handle some serious
Mid-Western 'wheeling!