Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Battery Question

Re: [MV] Battery Question

John Emery (jemery@execpc.com)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:59:49 -0500 (CDT)

>... I always follow
>the rule a little bit more is better than less - in the case of battery
>capacity that is (all rules are subject to change depending on situation
>-Ha Ha).

I used to do this (buy the highest capacity battery) until I realised that
they don't last as long under rough driving. I think we have figured out
why. To increase capacity they have to increase plate area. They always
used to leave a space at the bottom of each cell for crud the falls off the
plates to collect.
It seems that the high amp hour batteries have the plated further and
further down into the bottom of the cell. So now you do lots of rough
driving, you produce more crud and other conductive sediment, all of which
falls to the bottom and proceeds the short the plates. Thus the very common
inability to hold a charge. I now buy the smallest amp hour capacity for
the given case size and I don't seem to be replacing batteries as often.
Just my opinion, your milage may very!

je