Military-Vehicles: RE: Fwd: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

RE: Fwd: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:19:26 -0400

>So what do I do - reluctantly paint the car an ugly color
>and proclaim myself to be a "purist" or do I paint it candyapple red -
>the color ALL convertibles SHOULD be (at least in my mind) - and throw a
>set of styled steel wheels on it? (both options could be found on a
>Mustang in 1970). Well, I can tell you one thing. My car is now red
>and is enjoy the hell out of it!

Then 50 years from now, people will think all Mustang convertibles were
red because people 27 years from the time it was built thought the
color was more pleasing. ;) In 50 years, pastel blue and wheel covers
may be in more demand because it is different than the same old boring
color scheme and changing color tastes. As long as you keep the
original wheels and wheel covers, it is easily converted back to its original
configuration. Changing the color is a little different than using a repro body.
I doubt seriously people are going to save their original bodies so people
50 years from now can restore it correctly. If you drag some hulk out of
the woods and slap together parts so you can "enjoy" it, don't advertise
it as "restored" and expect the same price as someone who takes the
time to actually restore it.

>Now, if you had a Bantam, MA, or GP....well, that's a different story.

But I want to enjoy my GP! I have seen a few GPs that have small
block Chevy engines in them because 30 years ago when not a
whole lot of people cared or knew about Jeep prototypes, wanted
to have a vehicle to hunt with in the woods. Today, you might
think "What was the person thinking about when he did this? He
destroyed this piece of history". Back then, it was just considered
an old Jeep and this person wanted to enjoy his Jeep. The differences
between different Jeep models were not well documented. Same might
be true 50 years from now when someone wants a MB and finds one
with a repro body. While 98% of the people can't tell the difference
between a repro body now, as details are documented and information
shared, that might be lower in the future. Those people 50 years from
now will be thinking "What was the person thinking about when he
did this? He destroyed this piece of history."

Todd Paisley