Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] NEW JEEP

Re: [MV] NEW JEEP

Jeff Polidoro (willys@vgernet.net)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 03:09:18 -0400

> hey folks! i just bought an original '42 willys jeep in great
> condition.it looks like it just
> rolled out of the crate! i want to modernize it a bit so i'm going to
> add an airscoop from
> a camaro on the hood and put some fat mag wheels on the back. i painted
> flames on the
> fenders to make it look faster. but i'm having trouble welding the
> cadillac fins to the rear.
> can anyone help?

The crated Jeeps had their wheels removed so they never "rolled out", they
had to be lifted out. If yours looks like it rolled out, then it must not
be original. I think you should try to, somehow, incorporate fender flares
into the welding of the Cadillac fins on to cover the fat mags in the rear.
I hear that the fins from a 53 Eldo Biarritz will accomplish this nicely
and were, in fact, used on every Jeep Elvis rode in while in the Armed
Forces. Several of these Jeeps are featured on page 6 of "Wondering about
The All American Wonder".

Speaking of Elvis, while buying some original stainless steel hardware for
my slat grille, I believe I saw him in the hardware store. He was buying
lug nuts.

Regards,

JP