Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Re: [MV] After Market Bodies for MBs

Herb Brown (brown@ida.org)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:09:42 -0400

For the LIST in general, and Kerry & Jeff specifically.

A dilemma of summarizing one's thoughts in a few lines of e-mail text, is the
result tends to be an over simplification of many details. Consequently, a
short message may not always convey an adequate representation of your true
feelings and thoughts.

Recognizing the limitation of this forum, I simply wanted to indicate I thought
Kerry's arguments were very good, and I personally identified with several
aspects of his short write-up. Also, I thought his message was well presented
(better than I could have done) and could be of value to others on the list.

Some details left unsaid in my personal comments, and which by their absence may
have caused some confusion, follow: I passionately want to restore my jeep to
its "original configuration", and I continue to work towards this goal. I also
recognize I lack the experience of others that have fully restored these
historic landmarks. Therefore, I have been, and continue to be, concerned that
my final results will not be up to all of my expectations. For this reason,
buying a repro body and/or getting someone else to do the body restoration job
for me has been in the back of my mind since I started this labor of love. With
this said, I must admit my skills have improved significantly (and so has my
workshop inventory of tools -- another plus).

One last thought that may shed some light on my original e-mail message: The
body (the MB's not mine, but that's another story) was a basket case. After
removing all the old street signs that previous owners had used to hold the rust
together, I had very little with which to work. If I didn't make this almost
futile attempt at salvage, I doubt that even you, Jeff, would have wanted to
keep any of this body. At present I have the roughed in structure of the
original body -- this after: consuming two each 4 by 8 feet sheets of metal,
many specially formed sections contracted out to a local roofing and sheet metal
house, and other purchased parts such as the gas tank well. I am very proud of
what I have got, of what I have accomplished so far, and that I still have the
fortitude to continue this project. When all is said and done, will my
"original rebuilt body" be as precise as a "very good repro-body"?

Quite frankly, no. Possibly, by my next restoration project, I will have
sufficiently improved my skills to turn this "no" into a "yes" (and I can assure
you there will be more restoration projects -- I have been bitten by the bug, or
is it rust?). Even better, maybe I will be smart enough to find a vehicle
that's not so far gone.

Sorry for this long message; but I wanted (1)to undo any injustice I might have
done to Kerry's excellent comments, and (2) to present a more detailed
perspective for Jeff.

Thanks, Herb

--
Enjoy your day -- Preferably in an old (1945 MB) jeep.