Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Chemical dipping

Re: [MV] Chemical dipping

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:25:50 -0500 (CDT)

>The book All American Wonder talks about chemical dipping of jeep part as a
>better alternative to sand blasting. This process should remove both old
paint >and rust and leave the bare metal left. I don't know of any companys
that >offer this service in my area, so I wonder is this something I can do
by >myself? What type of liquid is used, and where can it be bought?

The place in this area that does this now has a second service available
that looks really slick. After chemically removing all the paint and rust
they dip paint it with black epoxy then bake it. Think of it! Every crack,
crevise, and hidden area cleaned then soaked with an epoxy primer. I wish
they had this when I did my body. It must stick real well because he said
they charge double to have it stripped again.

As far as doing it yourself, removing paint is only half of the issue.
Removing and/or neutralizing the rust is also important. He said that the
EPA would not allow anyone (in the US) to start up a business like this now.
His operation has been grandfathered, for now.

je