Military-Vehicles: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

[MV] Contaminated brake linings

A. Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Mon, 28 Jul 97 07:23 MET DST

Gordon.W.I. McMillan schrieb:
> Hi Alan, I think you are correct in your assumptions about the
> cylinders. The Command Car always pulled to the right on heavy
> braking, which I assumed was either incorrect adjustment or slight
> contamination of the left hand linings with fluid from a leaking
> cylinder. A couple of years ago I stripped and cleaned all the front
> brakes, washing off the contamination, replacing all the pistons,
> seals, and boots, and doing a by-the-book adjustment of the shoes.
> SInce them I've done about a hundred miles so any surfact contamination
> should have been removed anyway.

Dear Gordon,

you wrote that you have washed off the contamination of the brake
linings. I must tell you, that this is nearly impossible. Brake
linings are like a sponge, they can keep a lot of fluid inside.
When you clean the surface, the lining looks like new, but when it
becomes hot, the fluid comes out like sweat and the lining is
contaminated again. The contamination is not only on the surface
of the lining, most of the stuff is in it!

The only real solution is to use new brake linings. This means new
and not "new old stock". NOS brake linings are most hard and do not
work.

If it is absolutely impossible to get new ones, you can try to clean
the linings. This is a job for one who has killed his parents, as we say
in Germany.
You must cook the linings (or shoes) for hours in a pot with lye. Use good
washing powder. Every ten minutes you can take the linings out of the pot
and wipe the dirt from the surface. And back in the pot.
When you have done this 10 - 20 times, may be the lining is clean
and all the brake fluid is removed.

Note: Other methods for cleaning a brake lining do not work! They only
clean the surface and let the fluid in the core of the lining. The heat
of the first braking brings the fluid back to the surface.

Regards from Braunschweig (Brunswick), Germany
Andreas Mehlhorn

1942 NSU Kettenkrad