Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Re: [MV] Contaminated brake linings

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 01:09:00 -0600

Hello Andreas,

I agree totally that it's a very good idea to use new brake linings. Many brake linings
used organic binders, such as a "phenolic" material, that can become very brittle,
especially with heat, and perhaps with time as well. These also caused brakes to fade
quite rapidly when overheated.

If you can't find new replacement shoes, you should be able to have new lining material
bonded onto the old shoes. Because of the narrow linings that most of these old vehicles
used, they can build up heat quite quickly, especially on a long, steep downgrade (if you
don't gear down) or after several repeated hard applications of the brakes. I'd recommend
using a high-temperature fade-resistant lining. There are several different composite
fiber materials on the market that will resist heat fading and will also provide a higher
coefficient of friction, thus significantlly reducing your braking effort.

Regards,

Alan Bowes
(Salt Lake City, Utah)