Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] "Authenticity"

Re: [MV] "Authenticity"

Geoff Winnington-Ball -WHISKEY- (gwb@interlog.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:57:24 -0400

Well spoken, Steve. The fact remains, the MOST pleasure ANYBODY gets
from these icons is that experienced when driving them down the street
for the first time, or in their first Veterans' Parade. To have a legion
of gawkers marvelling over what they see 'with their own eyes', never
mind the misty eyes of the occasional vet, ratifies just about ANY short
cuts one makes to 'Keep 'em Rolling'. Historical accuracy? Ask anybody
who EVER worked in a regimental or brigade motor pool; whatever it took
to get then damn things back in action was whatever they did - including
repainting by brush! (the horror....!!).

Let's face it, stuff like body configurations, engines, axles and tires
should be as original as possible; but do I care if I have new pistons
or valves in my 1944 GM 270? Not a wit; if anything it works better.
Brake linings? Hell, it stops even better than the original! Repro
floors? They'll do until I figure out something better. Paint? Sometime
back we found some CMP parts wrapped in the original grease paper, took
them into a paint supplier, and had him mix some up.

Gentlemen, it works, and while YOU may know it's not 'original', that
guy on the side of the road who drove the damn thing 50 years ago
couldn't care less! Stop worrying about whether you're using 'F' marked
bolts on your Ford MV; if you've got 'em, great - but don't delay your
restoration for the lack of them! Just get these trucks back on the
road, BEFORE there's nobody left who remembers what it was REALLY like
to drive them when it counted.

Sorry for the sermon, but I've run across countless of these old dudes,
who, believe me, appreciate just about ANYTHING we reconstruct in their
honour. 'Nuff said. Over to you.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Geoff