Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:43:10 -0500 (CDT)

>After about 10 minutes of normal suburban driving the engine begins to lose
>power, sputtering down to almost nothing. The throttle action seems "mushy",
>not responsive. With a few pumps I can rev it back to life a few times, but
>finally it stalls entirely. Then I can crank and restart the engine a few
>times, make a little more progress down the road, then the cycle repeats.
> Finally, the engine dies and refuses to restart till I leave it sit five
>minutes or so. Then I can restart and nurse the sputtering engine home.

You know, I have had several situations where every expert around was
convinced I had a carb problem. It turned out to be the ignition coil. As
they get used they warm up and any internal shorting seems to get worse.
Coils only last so long, period! Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

je