Military-Vehicles: Re: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

SBJohnston@aol.com
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

Cliff wrote:

>It sounds more like a fuel pump problem than anything else.
>You can try bypassing the fuel pump with a gravity feed from
>a container higher than the carberator, hooked direct to the
>carb. This will indicate weather the fuel pump is the culprit.

A good idea! I was just sitting here thinking about the possibilities of
rust flakes clogging the fuel pump just like I found the carb intake screen
was clogged. I wonder if the fuel pump can be disassembled and cleaned?

>If the problem still persists, next step would to be
>rebuild the carberator.

My TMs don't cover the "innards" of the fuel pump or carburetor -- guess I
need more info. It never ends... I think I've seen ads for carb rebuild
kits for the M38 -- maybe they include some details.

Thanks for the good suggestions!

Steve