Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

Re: [MV] M38 loses power, stalls

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:01:34 -0700

SBJohnston@aol.com wrote:

> Cliff wrote:
>
> >It sounds more like a fuel pump problem than anything else.
> >You can try bypassing the fuel pump with a gravity feed from
> >a container higher than the carberator, hooked direct to the
> >carb. This will indicate weather the fuel pump is the culprit.
>
> A good idea! I was just sitting here thinking about the possibilities of
> rust flakes clogging the fuel pump just like I found the carb intake screen
> was clogged. I wonder if the fuel pump can be disassembled and cleaned?
>
> >If the problem still persists, next step would to be
> >rebuild the carberator.
>
> My TMs don't cover the "innards" of the fuel pump or carburetor -- guess I
> need more info. It never ends... I think I've seen ads for carb rebuild
> kits for the M38 -- maybe they include some details.

Steve

Yes you can rebuild the fuel pump & or carb if need be. The rebuild
kits that I have purchased in the past have never had any instructions
as I have assumed that they were to be rebuilt with the aide of the
applicable T.M. I think the eng/ clutch T.M. will have the info on that
but I cant be sure because I cant find that T.M. right now to be sure.
It is really not a big deal to it, take it apart & put it together w/the
new parts. Ive purchased my kits from SECO in Ga. If you have rust in
the screen its probably trapped in at least one of the pump's check
valves causing the low press.

A word from experience. I had my 38A1 out years ago & noticed low oil
press. The dipstick showed way over "full", and smelled of gas. Results:
ruptured fuel pump diaghram & about 5gal of gas in the pan!

Have fun
Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437