Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M37 Generator Rebuild/Replace

Re: [MV] M37 Generator Rebuild/Replace

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 08:10:35 -0600

If it really is "burned out" and if you can get a new generator for less than 150 dollars,
I'd do that rather than have it rebuilt. If it only needs bearings/bushings and brushes
and possibly to have the commutator turned, then it might be worth rebuilding it. Often, a
commutator only has to be turned after wearing out two or three sets of brushes, but when
operating under dusty conditions it may wear down earlier. If the wiring is burned, it
would have to be stripped and rewound, and that could cost more than a new generator.

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)