Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] RE brake lines

Re: [MV] RE brake lines

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 21:52:04 -0600

While there may be several usable alloys that are approved/acceptable for brake lines, the
OE brake lines that I'm familiar with are steel...either stainless or tinned. If you visit
the sites of any major brake companies, such as Wagner, you'll find that they talk about
using steel lines and WARN AGAINST the use of copper. Perhaps the copper/nickel alloy that
you're talking about is a steel alloy that contains nickel and traces of copper? Or could
it be steel lines that are plated/tinned with something containing copper and nickel? Just
a guess...

Here's Wagner's site: http://www2.moogauto.com/moogauto/COOP2/WAGNER/braklns.html

I know that you're not suggesting the use of pure copper, but just to make sure no one
misinterprets anything or accidentally gets the wrong alloy, copper tubing should NEVER be
used for brake lines under ANY circumstances!!! It simply does not have the
tensile/bursting strength to handle the pressures involved. Period. It is also so
malleable that a flare could actually be squeezed through a fitting under high pressure.
One should ONLY use approved brake line material. I think you'd agree.

Alan Bowes
(Salt Lake City, Utah)