Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] positive ground

Re: [MV] positive ground

Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 09 Aug 1997 15:46:03 -0700

R. Notton wrote:

> For a military vehicle with a radio fit it is worth checking if the
> equipment has a defined ground polarity, most don't and are fully > floating;

NOT SO! NOT SO! I can't address British vehicular radio equipment but,
with only a couple of exceptions (SCR-610, etc) ALL U.S. equipment is
polarity sensitive, is not of floating design, and is intended for use
on negative ground systems ONLY! You will find the negative side of all
the circuitry connected directly to the equipment chassis, cases, racks,
etc. Depending upon the manner in which the primary power (vehicle
battery) is connected to the radio equipment, the best result of a
reversed polarity connection would be a blown fuse; the worst result
result could be the destruction of the set, accompanied by the stench of
burning battery cable insulation and explosion of the battery caused by
the dead short!

Ed Greeley
Mobile, AL