Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M38A1 - Fuel Pump Question...

Re: [MV] M38A1 - Fuel Pump Question...

paul vandervort (pgv@imaxx.net)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 23:44:06 -0700

Scott Strance wrote:

> I'm getting ready to start my M38A1 after it has sat for several years. I
> will be changing all fluids prior to starting it.
>
> I noticed that the oil filter tank had a strong smell of fuel and the oil
> appeared to be very thin.

I would recomend that you rebuild the fuel pump PRIOR to starting it.
Several years back I noticed that mine had no oil press! I checked oil
level & it was way over full & smelled like fuel. The fuel pump
diaphragm had ruptured & pump gas into the crankcase. =REBUILD IT.

> Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a procedure to follow for
> starting it after such a long time?

Squirt some eng oil into the cyls & let it set for a couple of days. Ive
found that if it will turn by hand it shouldn't need that much. Dont
flood the cyls w/oil though, or you may give it a hydraulic lock &
damage the cyl/ piston/rings. Also, be aware that there might be stuck
valves so pull the side cover & make sure they move. Pull it through by
hand (by the fan).

> Also, would you rebuild the carb prior to this? I fear the gaskets are very
> dry and will leak like a sieve.

If its been sitting for more than 5 yrs you prob should rebuild the
carb. But try running it & see what happens. If your going to drive it
around I would recomend a rebld. Ive had ones that have needed rebld &
ones that havent, just depends on how much the carb dried out & left
deposits.

Hope this helps.
Paul Vandervort
MVPA 437