Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M-38 engine swap

Re: [MV] M-38 engine swap

Geoff Winnington-Ball -WHISKEY- (gwb@interlog.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:23:46 -0400

jeff@fred.wonet.com.pl wrote:

> Does anyone know what size engine can be put into a M-38 that is
> bigger than the orignal and will not require permanent modifications?
> A friend is looking at doing this and asked me to ask.

This is tantamount to heresy here, but if you or 'he' is so inclined,
I'm told you can sandwich in a Buick V6, providing you're willing to
play with the motor mounts. A transmission is something else, though. I
never followed up on that one, because I wouldn't want to b****r up the
original power plant.

Don't forget as well that the gearing in those axles won't help you if
more speed is what you're after.

Why doesn't your 'friend' simply sell the M38 to a collector and buy a
CJ-2 or CJ-3 to customize (if he has to have a flat-fender)?

Geoff