Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Wrong Engine

RE: [MV] Wrong Engine

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:15:54 -0600

Hi, again, Russel,

What does the engine look like?
Is it an inline six or ???=20
Is it a flathead (are the sparkplugs on top of the cylinder head)?

You said it was a tall engine. The original 230-cubic-inch flathead six =
is also a fairly tall engine. The carb on the original engine had a =
"macaroni" intake horn that allowed the air filter to be mounted off to =
the side, rather than on top of the carb (since there isn't any room =
between the carb and the hood).

If there are boards separating the engine from the axle, it sounds like =
it's not even mounted in the frame or that the mounts are shot.

If it doesn't have the original engine, there is also a very good chance =
that it doesn't have the original transmission.

The most important things you should consider when purchasing a vehicle =
like this are:

How much rust is there on the body and chassis?
What body/chassis parts are missing?
Is there any major damage anywhere?
What major mechanical/drivetrain parts are missing or non-original?

Rust is (in my opinion) the worst thing to deal with. I'd much rather =
deal with mechanical problems than rusted metal. When I start a new =
project, I like to take care of any rust first, just to get it over with =
so that I can have more fun with the rest of it.

I'll send a separate copy of this message to you with an attached image =
file of the transmission so that you can see if it still has the =
original-type transmission.

If I can find a good diagram of a 230-inch six, I'll send that later.

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)