Military-Vehicles: [MV] Fuel Can Orientation

[MV] Fuel Can Orientation

Joe Baker (edc@tiac.net)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:40:12 -0400

> 1. My first question concerns the 5 gallon 'Jerrican' mounted to the rear
> panel. When my (very late production) MB left the factory in Toledo, was
> the can oriented so that the handles on the top of the can were closest the
> spare tire, or were they to the outside(driver's side)?
> Photographs exist showing the cans mounted both ways. Was there a date at
> which can orientation was changed officialy, or was this just a running
> change?

The fuel cans were to be mounted with the opening of the can away from the outlet of
the exhaust pipe, in the case of 1/4 tons the exhaust pipe exits at the corner of the
vehicle...so the can opening should be towards the center of the vehicle. The purpose
of this mounting procedure was to prevent the possibility of fire from spilt gas on the
exhaust pipe. Of course GI's are not known for following SOP's even it they were
established for safety reasons, so you will see photographs of the cans mounted in
almost any conceivable orientation. I can even remember seeing two cans mounted on the
rear with the openings pointed to the rear of the vehicle.

> 2. Next question- still at the rear of the vehicle- when the spare tire and
> wheel was originally bolted up, was the valve stem in the '12 O'clock'
> position (or as near as the tire/wheel mounting would allow), or was it in
> the 3, 6, or 9 O'clock positions? Careful study of period photographs show
> tire/wheel combinations in all of these positions, and possibly others as
> well. Again, was there a date when this was officially laid down?

The normal SOP for spare tire mounting was that it was secure. The valve stem was
normally placed so that the air pressure in the spare tire could be checked during
routine maintenance.

By the way I am restoring a '46 civilain CJ2A and could use a line on the floor panels
and the under floor supports.

I also have a 1917 Ford Military Ambulance for sale should anyone be interested in the
beast. I would entertain interesting trades and offers.

--
Joe Baker
Major, Cavalry