Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Deuce-and-a halfs

Re: [MV] Deuce-and-a halfs

Lee Phillips (lee_phillips@rccgw.chinalake.navy.mil)
21 Aug 1997 10:16:40 -0700

Steve,

I bought mine (M35C Longbed, winch, fold down side, trailer towing =
package, REO, Gas) here at China Lake for $450. To get it running (with =
brakes) I had to:

1. Clean the crap out of the fuel lines, the fuel tank, and the =
carburetor. It all smelled like really old turpentine.
2. Rebuild the brake master cylinder.
3. Put something in for a seat cushion.
4. Change the oil and filter. Replace valve cover gasket.
5. Put on a muffler (Available from Big A Auto parts - may not be =
'correct', but fits the old mounting brackets and looks the same!)
6. Put air in the tires. They were mostly down to 4-5 PSI, after about 10 =
years of inactivity.
7. Put in 2 12v. batteries. I didn't use the military "square 12" =
batteries because I didn't know where to get them at the time (and still =
don't, for personal use; I mean, the base has them, but not for sale). So =
I used Chief Auto Parts' "Biggest"

Basically, I drove it home, after that. I've washed about 200 lb. of dirt =
out of it. The Navy had painted it it white, and the LH window is =
cracked.

I have some body work to do. The Top is missing, as are the bows for the =
cargo bed, and the canvas. Many of the hoses were rotted, and had to be =
replaced. The thermostat is stuck open. The speedometer was frozen up, =
and the speedo cable was broken. As of now, I've got about $950 in a =
truck that runs pretty well, and most everything seems to work. =
Naturally, for a restoration, there's a lot to go. Parts are available =
here (a local wrecking yard has lots of 6X6's and parts - Studebaker, =
REO, GM. Mostly, gas, some multifuelers- reasonably) .

Anyway, that's what it has been like so far, for whatever it's worth.

Lee