Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Aussie MVer's

Re: [MV] Aussie MVer's

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:36:04 +0800

> OK this is just a "curious" question! When you guys have a American MV do
> you have to convert it to right-hand drive, is it manditory, or are you
> able to leave it, & drive it as is? The thought occured to me, as I drove
> MV's in Japan, who also drive on the "wrong" side, it was really tough at
> times, ie: passing another veh, & seeing around the veh in front of you!
> Thanks......Dale

Left hand drive vehicles can be licensed for regular road use in most
Australian states. A sign stating "Caution Left Hand Drive" has to be
afixed to the rear of the vehicle and of course the vehicle has to be
fitted with a right hand side external mirror.

As for driving them, that can be a bit of a problem sometimes mainly when
overtaking. I often drove M816 wreckers in the Australian Army and had no
real problems with left hand drive.

Anyway, who said that we drive on the "wrong" side. It feels "right" to us!
:)

Cheers
Rod Diery
Kulin