Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Aussie MVer's

Re: [MV] Aussie MVer's

Ian Cooper (cmpdbase@superiway.net)
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:17:16 -0600

Douglas Greville wrote:

> Dale
>
> Can anyone clear this up?
>
> Doug
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> M8 & Other Armoured Vehicles
> _______
> _/_(_o_)_\_
> _/|___|_|___|\_
> / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville
> /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill
> |w||___________||w| N.S.W.
> |w|\u u/|w| Australia
> |w| \_________/ |w|
> [w] [w]
>
> dgreville@ruralnet.net.au
>
> ===

Dale,
Someone already noted reason the British have RHD, but I forgot who. It
is, as he noted, due to approaching an armed horseman. As most riders
were right handed, when they approached another rider, they kept the
opposing rider on their right as they would draw their sword with their
right hand. In case of combat, the opposing rider was on the side the
sabre was drawn to, ie. left hip to right side of body.
I suspect the reason the Japanese have RHD is due to the early Japanese
auto industry importing English vehicles and copying them ( they are
quite good at this).
Also of interest, British officers have the sabre on the left on their
Sam Brown belt and the revolver holster on the right. During combat in
the Colonial Wars (eg. Zulu Wars), the primary weapon for the officer
was his sabre. The pistol was used in case a surge of natives made
things to uncomfortable .
Ian