Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Licenses for 6x6's in CA

Re: [MV] Licenses for 6x6's in CA

Gideon Garcia (gidg@alaska.net)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 03:52:09 -0800

Jim Davidson wrote:

> Here's what the California vehicle code sez on the subject:
> (1997 code, section 12804.9, excerpt)

I've driven Motorcoaches (buses) and trained drivers to drive motorcoaches for Grayline
of Alaska. I'm a little rusty on specifics, but you are correct regarding the weight
and axle number for class B licenses.

The Bible of such information is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, Part
391-through a few more parts which I don't remember at the moment. ( I will look up if
any one is interested.) This book of regulations is available from J.J. Keller
publications out of Wisconsin. The publish a plethora of information regarding
commerical vehicle rules, regulations, and the interpretation of such.

I have a friend who works in our Safey Department. I will snag a copy of the FMCSR for
further information and quotes. The interpretation of the said information is where it
becomes very interesting. Below are a couple of sites that have more information
regarding such regulations.

Good luck!

http://www.jjkeller.com/samples/fs_fmc.htm (J.J. Keller page. Source of pocket FMSCR)

http://inspector.org/interps/part383.htm

(this site is informative! Clearly explains some basic questions regarding Commercial
Vehicles and licenses. Still no clear cut answers, as many are state to state.)