Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning ideas?

Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning ideas?

Jim Davidson (datadoc@fia.net)
Mon, 01 Sep 1997 15:51:57 -0700

Mike:
A couple ideas I've heard but never tried:

Throw a length of chain in the tank and roll it around to bust off the
rust. I've also heard that you can throw in a few handfuls of gravel to
do the same thing. Takes a lot of effort!

I coated the inside of my Baja Bug's tank with some stuff I bought at a
motorcycle dealer. Two part process, etch/cleaner and coating. Don't
remember the name, <sorry> but it wasn't cheap!

There are places that specialize in cleaning gas tanks, maybe that would
be cheaper? Probably find them advertized in Hemmings... Maybe even a
machine shop would boil it out for you...
JIM

Mike Towers wrote:

> Does anybody have any "home remedies" for dirty, rusty, or gunked-up gas
> tanks?
<snip>