Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning ideas?

Re: [MV] Gas tank cleaning ideas?

waliczek (waliczek@swbell.net)
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:27:32 -0500

Mike Towers wrote:

> Does anybody have any "home remedies" for dirty, rusty, or gunked-up gas
> tanks? I read somewhere that Drano crystals (lye) is good for striping
> paint. Will it work if you drain and rinse the tank, then swish some
> around inside? How about muriatic acid?
>
> Any help would be appriciated; I just can't afford to buy a $200 gas tank,
> times four!
>
> thanks,
> mike t.
> N5RXP
>
> M37, M151A1, M38, CJ2A x 2, CJ5
>
> ===

Mike,
I had the same problem, rusty fuel tank, pin holes in bottom. For a cost
of $ 40.00 I fixed it.
1. Remove fuel tank from vehicle.
2. Fill tank with water and dump, do several times.
3. Remove Sending unit
4. I used my power washer, and really washed the inside good. Sticking
the wand through the sending unit opening.
5. Then wait several days until the inside is perfectly dry. Checking
with a flashlight, showed that the heavy rust scale was gone.
6. I then patched the pin hole leaks with a fiberglas cloth and
resin.
7. Then using Red-Kote fuel tank liner from Damon industries Inc.
Box 2120 Alliance Ohio 1-800- 362-9850. I poured the liner into the tank
through the sending unit opening. ( It pours out like heavy surup)
I then sealed all the opening with duct tape,then slowly turned the
tank.After coating the entire tank, I drained the excess off. ( Enough
left for another tank.)
Left alone for about two days, and it hardened up like a thick rubber
mat. I have had gas in it for about two months now, no leaks.
I hope this helps..

Tom Waliczek
Kansas City
42 WC 3/4 Ton