Military-Vehicles: [MV] engine

[MV] engine

Van Burns (vburns@selu.edu)
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 15:28:42 -0500

>Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 15:16:19 -0500
>To: MVPA
>From: Van Burns <vburns@selu.edu>
>Subject: engine
>
>Can someone give assistance here?
>I am attempting to restore my '44MB. I currently have a Kayser
"Supersonic" (running) in it. This engine has a plate on the side
indicating that it is such, and is stamped 440-XXXXXX on the side behind
the oil filter. Am searching the graveyards in an effort to obtain a
MILITARY engine. Problem is they all look alike to me. Some have a small
"boss" where the engine number should be stamped (above the water pump).
Some have a wider boss. Some are stamped with a "J", or are prefaced with
other numbers, or are not stamped at all. I have been told that the number
should start with MB-XXXXXX. Is this always true? Would the casting numbers
tell me anything? If so, what casting #'s should I look for? I cannot find
anything in the ORD-9 with regard to the casting #'s. If anyone can explain
what to look for, I will be eternally grateful.