Military-Vehicles: RE: [MV] Leaded Gasoline

RE: [MV] Leaded Gasoline

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 12:28:55 -0600

I don't know the specifics, in terms of regulations, but I've heard that the
actual tetraethyl lead content of leaded gasolines has been substantially
reduced in recent years. This provides less protection for exhaust valves and
seats. However, the refiners may have added more bromine, which I think acts
as a kind of lead substitute. You can also buy aftermarket lead substitute
solutions that you can add to gasoline. I don't know offhand how these
additives react with rubber parts in the fuel system.

Time for more research, I guess.

Alan