Military-Vehicles: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [MV] ww2 trailer question -Reply]]

[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [MV] ww2 trailer question -Reply]]

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:29:29 -0700

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:25:14 -0700
From: Tony Standefer <WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net>
To: RiceJ@silltcmd-smtp
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [MV] ww2 trailer question -Reply]

--------------6376583C16BA

I've tried unsuccesfully to e-mail you several times for some reason
your e-mail address is to long.

--------------6376583C16BA

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 21:51:11 -0700
From: Tony Standefer <WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net>
To: MAJ <"WIDD-James Rice">
Subject: Re: [MV] ww2 trailer question -Reply

MAJ wrote:

> ...I know how the army marked theirs....
>
> Tony,
>
> Please enlighten me. I painted my trailer yesterday and will be ready to
> apply the markings this coming weekend (I hope). I don't have a clue as
> to how WWII trailer markings go. Also, what is the correct USA number
> series (i.e. 10XXXXX, 15xxxxx, etc) for trailers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Rice
> 1943 GPW representing: Vehicle #7, B Battery, 376th Parachute Field
> Artillery Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division Circa Summer 1944.

Jim

ok, you made me dig through my stuff to get this!! all general service
trailers in ww2 had a registration number that started with 0. all 1/4
ton 4x4's start with 20.(army motors #49 page 19-20). The registration
number would be approx. in the center of the rear panel, U.S.A.
0xxxxxx. on the bottom rear cross member of the trailer would be a
similar marking as your jeep. 82AB-376F B-7. This could be in one
line of broken in half. Then three stars would be applied to the
trailer, one on the left rear 1/4 panel, right side front, and rear
right side. There of course is alot of deviation for the placement of
the rear star and reg. number. Some photos show the star placed in the
center above the reg. number. ( the star should be a small 4" star).
If you need to come up with a registration number, let me know your
trailer serial number and d.o.d. and i can come pretty close. I hope
this helps, let me know if i can help any further. If you know of any
info for usmc trailers let me know.