Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Re: Pak 44

Re: [MV] Re: Pak 44

Lee Phillips (lee_phillips@rccgw.chinalake.navy.mil)
15 Sep 1997 12:57:31 -0700

Shaun,

Toward the end of WWII and the beginning of Korea, The USAF shipped
HUNDREDS of aircraft, mainly P-38's to the Aleutian Islands, where A =
friend of
mine spend a couple of years excavating dirt, shoving P-38's into the =
hole, running over them with Bulldozers, and covering with dirt.

All because the USAF wanted them GONE so they could have ALL NEW.

It makes me sick.

Lee
------------------------------
Date: 9/15/97 12:30 PM
To: Phillips, Lee
From: Hayes-Holgate, Shaun

wow whatta story! i'd love to see photos of the excavation and
restoration
with some documentation.perhaps you might consider submitting it to
Military vehicles magazine.they just reported an excavation of a half
track
on guam.

>In 1995 I finally got the chance to go have a look at this area and
>discovered what had undoubtadly been a german Pak-Front position placed =
at
the junction of two wide valleys. The centre was a large well fortified

=3D=3D=3D