Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] WW2 universal carriers

Re: [MV] WW2 universal carriers

Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netrover.com)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:24:20 -0400

--------------3A3BBB6B25A8C4F3FAD9602A

CplJK@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the price range for a British universal carrier or Bren gun
> carrier? He would also like to know where they are available and any
> suggested readings about them.

John,They're fairly rare, and those units which are complete and
restored/restoreable are usually closely guarded. After the war, when they began
to be released to the public, the first thing Joe Average usually did after
towing his carrier home was to cut off all that heavy, useless armor plate and
sell it to the local scrap dealer by the pound. Then he would use his chassis as
a tractor around the farm until it threw a track, whereupon he would learn that
replacement tracks are virtually non-existent. So the modified chassis would just
get hauled around to the back of the barn and left to rust. I've stumbled across
a few like that, including a [priceless] Windsor Carrier, so stripped and so far
gone because of weathering that it wasn't worth dragging home even for parts.

I haven't seen any come up for sale for a looooong time, and I expect that if one
were available, the price would be rather steep. I HAVE seen restoreable,
reasonably complete units dragged out of gawdknowswhere for around $1,000, but I
stress, that was a few years back. The one I helped recover and restore was a
$350 jewel, but that was pure luck for the guy who found it. I suggest your
friend join the MVPA if he doesn't belong already, and use their facilities to
develop contacts, if he's seriously interested. He might even stand a better
chance of digging up a T-16, with a little luck.

If he has specific questions, you can pass them to my email address and I'll
attempt to provide as much historical and technical info as possible. I can't
think of any specific publications at the moment, but I know there's some stuff
out there.

Regards, Geoff

--------------3A3BBB6B25A8C4F3FAD9602A

begin: vcard