Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] MV insurance

Re: [MV] MV insurance

SBJohnston@aol.com
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:58:35 -0400 (EDT)

Mick wrote:

> I live in Ireland, where there's a Vintage & Veteran Car Club,
> and members of that can get insurance on their car for
> under $200 a year. HOWEVER, I was 'politely' informed that
> the club don't accept jeeps of any vintage into their
> membership.

Did they offer any reason for this position? Do they accept trucks owners
as members? If so, I can't really imagine any basis for this sort of
distinction -- it certainly seems overly restrictive. But I have noticed a
occasional negative "attitude" toward jeeps. I've encountered a few people
who think of jeeps as yard-destroying, rude, "jacked-up", noisy, hot-rodded
vehicles.

It's hard to explain -- maybe they've run into teenagers driving wildly, and
it colored their attitudes toward jeeps. But apparently it is civilian jeeps
that are the problem (in their minds), as when I explain that I have a 1951
*military* jeep, the attitude changes and I'm a good guy again. Hmmmm...

I initially had some difficulty arranging insurance for my jeep, as
conventional auto insurers did not want to touch it. My main insurance
company, GEICO, eventually connected me with Great American Insurance which
offers a special insurance plan for antique, custom, and classic vehicles --
just the ticket. They quoted $125 a year but actually ended up charging only
$100 per year.

Steve Johnston

sbjohnston@aol.com