Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Split Rim DANGERS

Re: [MV] Split Rim DANGERS

bdk (bdk@geocities.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:40:20 -0700

David C. Decker wrote:

> I would like to open a dialogue to address the inherent danger of
> changing tires and tubes on split rim wheels. I have seen people do it
> wrong and get hurt. Since we have a number of members who have never
> worked on these types of wheels before, would the experienced members
> please share their SAFE methods?

Yes, let the air out first!

In one incident that happened to two friends on a split rim aircraft
wheel (a lot smaller than an MV wheel), one broke his hand and the other
suffered a cracked skull from the resulting explosion.

Each thought that the other had already let the air out!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When refilling a newly assembled split rim, stand by the tread of the
tire, out of the debris field if the wheel were to fail. Stripped and
rusty split rim bolts are a definite disaster waiting to happen.

Use due diligence and you'll be O.K.

Did I tell you about the friend who was chiseling a weld on his WC and
had a metal splinter blind him in one eye? Now he wears safety glasses
whenever he gets out of bed.....He doesn't have any more eyes to lose to
be blind!

Think about what you're doing before you do it.......