Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Radioactive

Re: [MV] Radioactive

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:27:59 +1200

In message <3456984C.97A@virgin.net>, CHAZ <chaz.mackenzie@virgin.net>
writes
>Hi list , I borrowed a Geiger counter tonight to see whether
>my No.19 radio set was as radioactive as I'd been told . It's not
>radioactive at all , but the speedo from my jeep is . Background
>radiation is 31 , the speedo is 1168 and a German aircraft clock
>is 38500 . Whats a safe level for things like instruments? Should
>I look for a non luminous speedo and drop the clock in a deep hole
>somewhere or what?
>
> Chaz ( probably worried about nothing )

Hi Chaz(probably worried about nothing),

I don't want to appear an alarmist, but the girls who used to paint the
little letters and numerals on the dials during the war are reputed to
have had a life expectancy of less than 10 years after their war
efforts. Mind you, they were renowned for putting the brushes between
their lips at regular intervals to shape up the brush tips !

regards
Colin Brookes(worried your probably worried about nothing)
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz