Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] M416 Rims...

Re: [MV] M416 Rims...

Buzz (buzzer@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:27:29 -0800

Scott,
Some of the M416 trailers were fitted with Mighty Mite wheels rather than
MUTT wheels. The holes in the Mighty Mite wheels are 2 1/2" while the MUTT
has 1 1/2" holes. The MM wheels use cone lug nuts rather than flat nuts of
the MUTT. So if you have tapered lug nuts you probably have MM wheels. You
should also have a counter sunk adapter ring on the hub to mate with the
cone nuts.
As for removing paint from aluminum, I had a long talk with a materials
professor and was convinced to never abrasive blast aluminum body panels.
It had something to do with disrupting the molecular structure so that it
would then crack when stressed. That was years ago so I don't remember the
whole story. I always use chemical strippers on aluminum and then after the
surface is clean I apply Alumiprep, or Aluminum Jelly to etch the surface.
As soon as I remove the etchant and dry the surface I paint it with zinc
chromate primer. I don't think you can get zinc chromate primer any longer
but I think that Rustolem has a clean metal primer that will work OK. Check
with a paint shop to be sure.
Buzz