Re: [MV] Carburetor Problem

Alan Bowes (alan_bowes@phast.com)
Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:41:48 -0700

Hal N. Blaisdell wrote:

> I've developed a problem with the carburetor
> on my WC that I would like a few opinions on.
> The carburetor leaks like a sieve at the joint
> on the carburetor between the top and bottom
> of the fuel bowl when the engine is running.
> Everything is tight and I have traced the
> problem to this one area on the carburetor.
> My question is: could my electric fuel pump
> ...be exerting too high a pressure and be
> causing fuel to blow out around the gasket/seal?

**********************

Hi Hal,

There are several possible causes. It could be any ONE or some
COMBINATION of these:
- Damaged, missing, or improperly installed gasket.
- Float level set too high.
- Float needle valve leaking (wear, misalignment, debris).
- Sunk float (punctured or saturated).
- Wrong type of electric fuel pump (high-pressure).
- Electric fuel pump pressure/bypass problem.
- Possible warped carb body.
- Possible fuel bowl venting problem.
etc.

I suspect the carb is at the heart of this problem. However, we
shouldn't neglect the fuel pump as a possible source or contributing
factor. What kind of electric fuel pump do you have? There are several
types. Fuel pumps for fuel injection systems usually develop more
pressure and often require a return line to the fuel tank. Many
lower-pressure types would work fine for your application. Does the pump
literature say how much pressure it develops? Have you checked? Is it
installed correctly?

Solution:
1) Do a careful rebuild of the carburetor.
2) Check the fuel line pressure and pump installation.
3) Install (or replace) a fuel line filter.

Regards,

Alan
(Salt Lake City, Utah)