Re: [MV] Jeep Engine

Matt Kreutzmann - Via (kreutzm@ebs.ac.com)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:24:11 -0600

> Certainly does, Dennis, and GPA owners like me always get jealous. I'm
> not sure if the block number matches the chassis number of the original
> GPA but it would be a reasonable guess. Nice thing to have ! From
> memory the only real difference would be that originally it would have
> had a double crankshaft pulley (extra row drives the winch pto)

Gordon's right on here, both about the engine and the jealousy of GPA
owners. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the serial number on the engine, frame and vehicle
(dashboard data plate) should all match on the GPA. I have heard a
few stories of GPA blocks turning up in GPWs and even MBs. I would guess
that there was a time when an unserviceable GPA was thought to make a
perfectly good source of low-time L-head jeep engines, particularly if
the hull was rusted. I've heard similar stories about Weasels being
considered a good source for civvy Studebaker owners who are looking for a
Champion block that's in great shape.

Other than the double crankshaft pulley, there would also be some
minor differences to accomodate the capstan PTO mounting bracket. In
the GPA, they also came with a substantially larger generator and I think
the mounting brackets may have been different as a result.

I would bet there's a GPA owner or two who would be interested in making
you an offer, if you're interested in selling it.

-Matt Kreutzmann
'43 GPA
'45 M29C
'53 M37