[MV] M151 ROPS

WIDD-Jame (RiceJ@silltcmd-smtp.army.mil)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:42:03 -0600

No M151s came with the roll bars. It was a field MWO (modification work
order) performed in the mid eighties. As a new shavetail in 1985, the
battalion I was in had several M151A2s and M1009 CUCVs. In
mid-to-late 1986, we had to have the ROPS installed, as did everyone
else on Ft Sill.

The ROPS was a serious pain in the butt. It made entry and exit difficult
all the time, but especially when wearing web gear. You got in, closed
the door, buckled the two seatbelt style buckles which secured the
webbing net between occupant and door and then put on your seat belt.
Again, when you were wearing cold weather gear and web gear, this
was sometimes quite a challenge. EVERYONE HATED THE DARN
THINGS.

Jim Rice
Major, Field Artillery
US Army

>>> "Hal N. Blaisdell" <torchboots@email.msn.com> 11/18/97 02:20pm

That A2 would have been originally #24087 OD Semi-gloss if US Army in
1973.
U.S.M.C color is a little different # (can't find the proper number right
now)? Color depends what era your going for.. Vietnam, Post Vietnam,
Grenada, Desert Storm.
Many vehicles had the R.O.P.S. added after vehicles were delivered to
active
duty army units. Yours may have been a work order modification
performed at
a maintenance unit after initial delivery to the Army. If you provide more
of a description maybe some of us on the list could tell for sure.
Hal