Re: [MV] Re: Ferrets

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:10:00 +1200

In message <971121151500_1913710381@mrin84.mail.aol.com>,
FIREBASEZ@aol.com writes
>Colin,
>Good to hear from you. As you said, it is good for novices (including me) to
>get Ferret info from those who have actually used them in service. I greatly
>value this information.
>
>I really enjoy my Ferret, but as you said, the cooling system is barely
>adequate. Mine tends to overheat, and I am contemplating replacing the
>thermostat, or adding an electric auxilliary fan.
>Byron
>Ca/US
>59 Ferret Mk 1/2
>previuosly in service with BAOR

Hi Byron,

you will I am sure have lot's of fun with your Ferret. Apart from
keeping those good old rev's up all the time, 'Slik 50', or similar
additive in the wheel-hub drive centre's makes a great deal of
difference to the drag factor, and ultimately engine running temp. I
once travelled to California to sort out some problems of overheating
etc on a Ferret for a collector. It was in the valley (not far from the
mother lode area). That was when I was living in the UK still. There
is a Ferret in the QE2 Army Museum at Waiuru here in NZ, unfortunately
not worth the visit though. The museum has been politicaly corrected,
and many of the exhibits either incorrectly named or restored. As
examples...A 'White M8', scout car has a 30 cal fitted to the central
antennae mount instead of on a skate on the rail. And in 'British
configuration', still has it's roller fitted, as well as running on
850's ! At the entrance to the museum an 'Excelsior Welbike', is
labelled a 'Villiers Junior', which is of course the type of engine
fitted. Next to a 'Vickers 3.7 inch AA gun', is a notice with a remark
as to 'why didn't the British adapt it for anti-tank use as well, like
the Germans did with their 88's'. It seems the writer had not heard of
the '25 pounder'. And of course the usual post war civilian 'Brockhouse
Corgi', olive drab painted up and described as a 'WW2 Para-bike'.
I think I mentioned in an earlier posting that the French Foreign Legion
used the Mk1 Ferret, and I noticed they packed the hubs with grease not
oil. Careful attention to stowage on the ouside of the Ferret is a
critical factor in maintaining a proper airflow for temperature control.
On the similar 'Daimler Scout Car nicknamed 'Dingo', the fitting of the
Grenade launchers in 1944 to the hull sides caused temperature/airflow
problems. It sure gets hot in California, and must be pretty near the
limit for Ferret operation without a lot of care.

happy ferreting Byron

regards
Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co .nz