Re: [MV] Ferrets & Slick 50

Mark R. (gloryhunter@rapidnet.com)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 23:06:15 -0700

Colin Brookes wrote:

> In message <347D5179.4B69F040@rapidnet.com>, "Mark R."
> <gloryhunter@rapidnet.com>
> >
> >I would really advise against using any additive with PTFE.
>
> Mark....are you basing your advice on actual personal experience,

Colin,

When Slick 50 first came out I used it in the engine of a '72 Blazer I
had. The oil pressure gauge went from reading a low normal to almost
off the scale. Even after several oil changes and using a motor flush
the gauge read high normal. I have also had discussions with some ppl
who've used it and had to replace oil pumps and one who had to replace
an engine after using PTFE. Then there are some who have had no
problems what so ever, yet.
I have never used it in gear boxes and so don't know. If Teflon(PTFE)
is as good as they say it is, why don't manufacturers just go ahead and
have it bonded to engines and gears.

There was a thread on an off-road mail list I got at one time that was
very informative on PTFE. There were several articles posted on PTFE
and none were good.

--
Mark
Rapid City, SD    ______