Re: [MV] Very early 1942 GPW

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:29:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Lee Ethridge wrote:

> GPW95234*, which someone told me meant it was a 1943. He's always
> thought it was an early '42, though.

I have GPW95986, and although it had no dataplates on it, it has all of
the indicators of an early '43. Additionally, AAW V2 puts that somewhere
around Feb. '43, if I remember correctly.

> Does anyone else's frame serial number end with a star?

GPW SN's BEGIN with a star, as well as END with a star. So it's
really *GPW95234*

> I've got a close up of the grille that shows the script F on the
> crossmember, as well as some wider shots that show the grille.

My GPW95986 has the "F" on the front crossmember, which is what got me
interested in the vehicle in the first place (before I was even thinking
of buying an MV to restore it.) BUT, my GPW108252 has no "F" on the
crossmember. The "F" is located on the MG pedistal bracket on the lower
right quadrant and is right-side up if viewing from the front of the
frame. Anyone know why my frame is oddly marked, or when frames started
being marked in this way? Maybe it's an indicator of which plant
produced the vehicle. Food for thought....

Mike

Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
College Station, Texas
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
mike@agen.tamu.edu