Re: [MV] M38 Carburetor acting up

Cliff Dahl (wrcc@rapidnet.com)
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 19:14:18 -0700

Steve:
One of the problems I discovered about 15 years ago with the carb on my
M38A1 sounds just like your problem. I put a new kit in the carb, but the
problem still persisted. Upon close examination, I found a pin-hole in the
bowl. I don't know why, but the jeep would run good some times and all of
a sudden load up and run real rich. After I replaced the carb, my problem
was cured. (Back then, carbs were plentiful, so I picked up 3 extra. Of
those extra, I have used all of them over the years, not knowing if they
just need kits or if they also may have a pin hole or some other problem).
Since you have not put a new kit in, that would be the first option to try.
Make sure that you clean the carb in carburetor cleaner before assembly.
This is the only way to assure that all particles and foreign matter are
cleaned from the passages. If you do the work yourself, make sure all
residue of the cleaner are removed and keep in mind that the float needs to
be adjusted correctly.
Good luck,
Cliff Dahl
wrcc@rapidnet.com