Re: [MV] Care of vinyl windows in canvas and need for replacement part

Dan Schultz (schultz@inficad.com)
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 00:13:06 -0700

An auto upholstery shop can cut away the old clear plastic and sew in new
clear panels.

When not in use the top should be carefully folded and stored flat, but do
not fold the clear windows.Clean top and windows with diluted dishwashing
detergent and treat top vinyl (but not windows) with AromorAll or similar
type protectant. I have been doing this every year and still using the same
top for 12 years and the windows are still clear. Have only had to do some
minor restitching and replaced one door zipper.

Dan Schultz

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave <b52d@southwind.net>
To: 'MV Listings' <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Sunday, December 28, 1997 10:21 AM
Subject: [MV] Care of vinyl windows in canvas and need for replacement part

I am trying to locate a usable drivers side curtain for an M151A2 jeep. Not
having a lot of luck calling around the country to the usual sources looking
for NOS curtains or used good condition.

The clear portion of mine has cracked in several places when I unrolled it
to install, it had been stored with all the parts I purchased when I started
building the jeep over a year ago.
It is currently patched with the ever useful O.D. Green duct tape, but looks
terrible.

This brings to light another question which, given the time of year, might
be a good topic for the list.

Are there any "Does and Don'ts" for windows on canvas products? Such as
things not to use to clean them or better yet is there something that works
for both the windows and the canvas and how does a person store it for the
summer without having it crack like mine did come the winter? I should also
be a little more clear about the word "canvas", in my case that is the vinyl
top, etc..

Is it possible to replace the window in the side curtain, it is not sewn but
glued in some how, and is very brittle.

Dave & Donna Brubaker
MVPA
M151A2