Re: [MV] M715 ENGINE CONVERSION

David C. Decker (campdeck@infomagic.com)
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 14:47:30 -0800

MEMASS wrote:

> While researching re-engine options for my 67 M715, I came across an ad in 4
> Wheel Drive mag. for HICKS 4x4 in Pomona, CA (909-865-7170). I called them
> and talked to Dennis. He claims that you can mount a 350 engine to the T98
> without an adapter. You will need to do a few things like: 1) Replace the 9"
> transmission input shaft with a 7" shaft. 2) Change the pilot bushing 3)
> Change a bearing (I don't recall which one) 4) Weld a tab on the lower left
> corner of the transmission, then drill a hole and tap it (there is no mount at
> this location on the stock transmission).
>
> They can sell you all the required parts for about $170 (does not include the
> hunk of metal you must weld). Does this sound possible? NOVAK sells an
> adapter for $380 and ADVANCE sells them for $500. I'd be much more willing to
> spend $170 and get my transmission welded than the other rates. By the way,
> do the other kits happen to include a 7"input shaft, a bearing. a pilot
> bushing adapter, etc.?
>
> Mark Masse
> 1967 M715 (engine in morgue)
> Hi Mark, as an long time owner of a 715, which is modified with a GM
350,400trans/NP250transfer with 4.88 gears, I have expierenced a lot of good miles, off
and on roads.
I can't agree the method you have described. A couple of reasons right off the bat.
Welding on cast iron. Yup, it can be done and done correctly---however,
it might break and where do you look for a repair/part?
Special parts. The 'inexpensive' way involves one off machine parts not found in any
junkyard, counter or catalog. Use as many stock parts as you can. If that is the way you
go, I believe it can be done as you described and be done safely.

The best two things I would recomend is spend $500 and put a small block gas GM or a GM
diesal in front of the stock T98, change the axle gears to 4.88 or depending on you
usuage. The stock transfer is Beefy. Straight cut gears which are darn near
indestructable BUT! The transfer howls like a homesick metal coyote if too much speed
is applied. The stock driveshafts are built heavy. There is a lot of room in a 715 and
one the best part of owning one is that so many stock assemblies bolt right on.
Jeep used the same basic cab-frame setup in their civilian truck line.
A stock heater, power steering, AC and seats, PTOs; the list goes on.
Good Luck,
Dave in Flagstaff
M715 350/400/250
M274 Willys4cyl/4WD/4WS