Re: [MV] A Jeep is a jeep is a GP

Colin Brookes (colb@xtra.co.nz)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:00:13 +1200

In message <34B86B55.AC8@iamerica.net>, Jim Rice <jimrice@iamerica.net>
writes
>What the term is appropriate use is in the mind (and heart in some
>cases) of the user.

it certainly seems that way. In around 20 years of the MV collector
scene, I personaly can't recall ever having heard anything other than
the WW2 1/4 tons seriously referred to as jeeps (in Europe). There has
been the odd time when an owner has tried to pass off a an M38 or
similar in one of the clubs newsletters for sale adverts, but is
generally soon corrected. Obviously the MV scene in Europe is more
singular in outlook. further proof of this is the absolute distinction
between collectors of WW2 as against post war vehicles. There are many
shows and groups which specificaly cater for one or the other.

>Until the federal government decides to regulate
>the terms use, jeep can mean whatever the user wants.
>Jim Rice
>Lawton, Oklahoma

I made this comment in the thread of discussion on PTFE additives
Jim.....it won't make the slightest difference to us outside the US,
what the US government regulates !

regards
Colin Brookes
Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS)
colb@xtra.co.nz