[MV] MVs and Snow, etc.

David C. Decker (campdeck@infomagic.com)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:25:13 -0800

Steven P. Allen wrote:

> The stories so far have been entertaining AND enlightening. A further
> question (brought up by the M109 tale):
>
> How many of you have any experience with tracked vehicles, especially
> halftracks, in snow, etc? The M109 leads me to believe that there will be
> no real gain to using tracks, but does anyone have any first hand info?

My primary MOS in the OD Circus was 11E which was tanks. Before I went across the big
pond, I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, Washington and had field exercises at the Yakima
Firing Range on M-60s. It is a good thing I was only 19 at the time, because I would
probably have a heart attack now doing some of the dumb stunts that we did driving
tanks.
During the harsh winter of 69-70, we had lots of snow. The motor pool was ice. To even
move a tank was dangerous and eventually outlawed.
Why? Zero, as in Zero traction on ice and hard pack snow. I have personally gone 30MPH
indicated while not moving forward an inch. Tracks a-spinning like crazy and no forward
movement. If you somehow did get forward motion, forget about control! After one morning
of the company trying to get out of the motor pool, the brass called it quits. Luckily
no one was hurt but bent fenders, crushed 'Jeeps' and other mishaps made the motor pool
look like a tank battle had been fought. The 'old guys' just smiled and said wait till
we get to Europe. Luckily(?) I went to the jungle instead, where I can assure you, a
tank cannot cross a rice paddy.
Joe Baker brought up the point of changing a few center connectors, which does work,
BUT, according to the tank vets, raised hell with German cobblestone roads. I remember
one story where a tank CO told of kicking cobblestones 30 feet in the air and knocking
out windows!! I was amazed to hear that they even allowed it. Keep in mind, that the US
Taxpayer wrote checks for ANY damage to German streets, trees, houses and chickens. Only
fair I guess, in the long run. Small wonder that they move the heavy stuff by rail and
trucks.
I'll never forget that----doing 30MPH in a 52 ton tank and not going anywhere!!!
Giggles and Grins,
Dave in Flagstaff