Re: [MV] MVs and Snow, etc.

Rob Wierenga (rwiere92@calvin.edu)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:23:33 -0500 (EST)

> Steven P. Allen wrote:
> >
> > The stories so far have been entertaining AND enlightening. A further
> > question (brought up by the M109 tale):
> >
> > How many of you have any experience with tracked vehicles, especially
> > halftracks, in snow, etc? The M109 leads me to believe that there will be
> > no real gain to using tracks, but does anyone have any first hand info?

All of these stories have been enlightening. But they all seem to have
the same thing in common so I have to ask. It seems like most of these
stories are occurring with tracked vehicles with the battle treads on
(raised metal bars that are perpendicular to the direction of travel) I
was wondering do they act the same way with the 'road' (rubber, if they
even exist and are used) treads?
Sorry, if this is a dumb question and I am way off with it, but I am
curious and figured some of you might know.
Rob in Mich.
(no military experience, lacking any true first hand knowledge, but
interested in the vehicles and history anyways)