RE: [MV] Indian 741 "Speaking with Forked Tongue"?

PietJan Baarda (pjbaarda@solair1.inter.NL.net)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:15:01 +0100

David,

My literature shows the same thing. Only front forks with only one spring and
the headlight bracket as you described.
Did you check the parts list for any indications? (I don't have one)

On the subject of designation of the military scout there is some confusion.
But the story is probably as follows: At first there was the 640 30.5" scout,
later a 45" version was build. At that time the 640 was re-designated
640A en the new 45" 640B. Later both were, for unknown reasons
renamed into 741A (30.5") and 741B (45"). Sucher states: "These
somewhat confusing designations came about through a lack of
coordination among the three technical writers engaged by the factory
to produce the riders' instruction and overhaul and repair manuals for
the army.... Purists to this day are still in contention as to what may be
the correct designation of these models".

To summarize:

30.5 ci: 640 is 640A is 741A
45 ci: 640B is 741B.

Bye,