Re: [MV] Zoning Violations

Morten K. Agerup Myhr (mkamyhr@online.no)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:09:04 +0100

SBJohnston@aol.com wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> A friend of mine had a military pickup painted OD with s/n and fake
> unit
> markings (I didn't know the model -- I wasn't "into" military vehicles
> back
> then -- but it was reasonably modern) and he once was hassled by
> local
> police for possessing a stolen military truck! They based their
> clever
> deduction on the OD paint and serial numbers and unit markings. Oh,
> man!
>
> Steve Johnston
>
> sbjohnston@aol.com

How's this one:

Back in the late 80's, small contingents of "vikings" hit the UK
mainland for vacation in their green things (Since '94, the numbers of
MV's visiting UK from Norway in the summer has been something like 50 to
150 each summer, so it must feel like being invaded by the vikings once
more by the natives).

Anyway, on holidays, getting ready to return on the ferry from Harwich,
I stopped with a friend in Colchester for a little shopping in my WC51
(perfect for shopping; have brought back sets of tires, stationary
engine, b..... big piece of oak furniture++++. Yr
girlfriend/wife/mistr... (Oops!) can even bring all the clothes, shoes,
beach gear etc she wishes)

Anyanyway, we stopped outside the local McDougal's on Main street.
Funny double stripes next to sidewalk; - "Sure it doesn't count for
non-natives". Nice burger being served by Ronald McDougal.

Anyanyanyway; manager must be clairvoyant: comes directly towards only
two people in restaurant, asking if it's our "Land Rover" being parked
outside? Non-native gets very upset about this lack of culture, but
confirms that this elaborate piece of American engineering belongs to
him. Manager then politely suggests that it might be a good thing to
move it away; not so much for the danger of being fined (luckily no
international system for following up on unpaid fines), but the fact
that the local sheriffs were about to bring in the bomb squad....

Coincidence made it the same day the friendly, local IRA-group had made
a bomb threat to the city hall on the other side of the street. Sheriff
noticed green thing parked, noticed it had US markings (stars and WWII
unit markings!?!), called up the local US army camp. No, they had no
vehicles with that serial number........

LOTS of quick and intense conversation with sheriffs, who were not at
all amused.

In short; don't eat at McDonald's if u don't want yr mil-veh blown up by
the bom squad.....

Greetings from Oslo!

--
                                  )))